Skip to main content
All CollectionsImporting transactionsFAQ
How can I import data from closed exchanges?
How can I import data from closed exchanges?
Written by Eivind Semb
Updated over a week ago

Some exchanges have closed or shut down, making it difficult (or most likely impossible) to get a copy of your transaction history if you didn't export this before the website became inaccessible.

You can upload CSV files for all closed exchanges, including MtGox, QuadrigaCX, and Cryptopia, to Coinpanda if you have these files. If you don't have a copy of your transaction history, there are still a few things you can do:

Tag Send transactions as Lost

Go to the Transactions page on Coinpanda and filter for Send and No label. See if you have any outgoing Send transactions resulting in a large gain. If any of these transactions are a withdrawal to the closed exchange, you can tag it as Lost so that Coinpanda will not realize the gains on the transaction. The amount sent will instead be included in your Expense summary in the tax report, and you might be allowed to report this as a loss in your tax return.

Import transactions manually

If you remember which coins you traded on the exchange, you might be able to add transactions manually to the best of your knowledge. First, you should start by identifying Send and Receive transactions to and from the exchange and tag these as Deposit or Withdrawal so that they will be classified as internal transfers.

The next step is to make a list of all internal transfers sent to and from the exchange to identify which coins you need to add transactions for. Let's look at an example:

You have identified two transactions where BTC was sent to the exchange (deposited) and three transactions where ETH, LTC, and DOGE were transferred out of the exchange (withdrawn). You know now that you have sold BTC and received ETH, LTC, and DOGE in return (ignoring that you might have traded other coins in the interim). There are several ways to create these transactions, but here is what we recommend:

  1. Pick a date between the date you received BTC and withdrew ETH. This will be a guess since you don't know the exact date(s) you traded ETH-BTC.

  2. Find the price of ETH-BTC on that date and calculate approximately how much BTC you would have sold to acquire the ETH. You can find these prices on CoinGecko, CoinMarketCap, or other similar sites.

  3. Repeat the previous steps for LTC-BTC to calculate the amount of BTC sold to acquire LTC.

  4. The remaining BTC amount now approximates what you paid to acquire DOGE. Because crypto prices can fluctuate wildly, these approximations might be very wrong. However, your net gain/loss will not be impacted that much when all your coins have been disposed of.

  5. Now, you need to enter these three transactions into Coinpanda.


You have the following transactions:

0.2 BTC Deposit (sent to Cryptopia) - January 10, 2018

0.5 BTC Deposit (sent to Cryptopia) - January 28, 2018

9 ETH Withdraw (withdrawn from Cryptopia) - March 14, 2018

12 LTC Withdraw (withdrawn from Cryptopia) - June 12, 2018

55,000 DOGE Withdraw (withdrawn from Cryptopia) - August 4, 2018

Step 1: we will pick February 1st, 2018, as our date (just a random date)

Step 2: the price of ETH-BTC on February 1 was 0.114.

Approximate amount of BTC sold: 9*0.114 = 1.026 BTC

Step 3: the price of LTC-BTC on February 1 was 0.01558.

Approximate amount BTC sold: 12*0.01558 = 0.18696 BTC

Step 4: remaining BTC = 1.5 - 1.026 - 0.18696 = 0.28704 BTC

Step 5: Now we need to enter the following transactions in Coinpanda:

  • 1.026 BTC β†’ 9 ETH

  • 0.18696 BTC β†’ 12 LTC

  • 0.28704 BTC β†’ 55000 DOGE

These transactions can be added manually or imported using the generic Excel file. Remember to use February 1st, 2018 as the date.

We want to emphasize that this should not be considered legal advice and that you should always consult a tax professional if you don't know how to report taxes for closed exchanges. You can also take a proactive approach and ask your tax authority directly - they might be able to clarify if the suggested method above is allowed or not. If you decide not to do so, we recommend that you always make a note of this in your tax return, explaining that you have entered the information to the best of your knowledge.

Did this answer your question?